Monday, September 03, 2007

Geneology Post

I know this site was made for my fellow flat travelers, but I am taking a moment out of my traveling journal to post a little about genealogy. I started gathering information about 25 years ago. I just used what I found in my family for the most part. I was very fortunate my grandparents on my dad's side had lots of old pictures and stories. My grandmother knew a lot about my grandfather's side. He was not a big talker about his family. Then came work and kids and I haven't done more then pull it out every few years and look it over and put it away.

Fast forward to me doing the cookbook project. I was determined to put a little family tree chart in the cookbook along with pictures. You guessed! Out came all the family tree stuff and old pictures. It started out simple. Find some older pictures of my grandparents and confirm what I know on the family tree. Now a few weeks later I reprinted pictures and had them framed, started putting entries of John Bradens diary up and the biggie, I joined Ancestry.com. I have been on that site 8 to 12 hours a day for about 4 days. I though I would list the names I am researching in case any real genealogist search blogs for names.

My friend Tom is a serious genealogist. He has done amazing research and travel in his quest to find information. He had to do most of it the hard way, before computers had such access to records. He has given me links and information on where my family came from and has always translated any German documents I have had. I never was big on history until it related to our family. Luckily he knows so much about history, he can put me in the right direction. I will post now and then the amazing things I have found on line. If anyone is interested in seeing our family tree, just e-mail or leave a message and I will invite you to our ancestry.com site.

Here are some of the names I am researching....
Williams
Braden
Borcherding
Rochlitz
Florreich
Steck
Bach
Rosswurm
Sherrets
Gatton
Fank
Welkenback
Olney
Marsh
Baldwin
Wells
Welles
Gant
Gaunt

On the kids dad's side
Zorena
Wdowiak
Styran
Chorninsky
Rymar

That's it for now! Have a great weekend! We are off to the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home