Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Page Ten John Braden's Diary

thursday the first of december
sent a letter to Ed to day

friday the second
me halled some hay for the fat cattle to day

Saturday the 3rd
it was a stormy day

sunday the fourth
cold 18 below zero i made Harry a sled mr lee came out to day

monday the 5th
lee got me a load of coal i went down to Jo B and got my hog and iron kettle it is snowing to night

tuesday 6th
we butchered to day Jo helped us my hog weighed 514 lbs

wednesday the 7th
we rendered out some lard to day

thursday 8
i ground the sausage to night wife has the soar throat

friday the 9
mr lee brought some more stears to day head weighed i mixed the sausage wife is no better

saturday the 10
lee got us a stove heater i played the fiddle

Sunday 11th
mr lee and wife was out to day wife is very sick i churned it was warmer to day

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those words so remind me of being at my grandparents' house when I was little. They raised all their food. How lucky you are to have this documented.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger The Travelers Journal said...

I love reading it. The words are gettin a little easier. I am so happy I copied it when I did. The copy is hard reading, but I have refered back to the journal and some of the pages toward the back are almost invisible! The middle is still readable, but frail.

Not that I need a new project, but I have enjoyed this so much I have decided to keep a similar journal next year for a year to keep with his to pass on. With prices and simple everyday living. My kids, kids may enjoy it.

Thanks for reading and commening!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home