Monday, July 02, 2007

Ode To The Cicada

I am not sure why
I love this guy
I couldn't wait to see him again
I love the noise
He was not here for long
I miss him
I have to wait 17 more years.

I don't understand my fascination with the Cicada. I have been around for him three times now. First I was 12 and only remember they were everywhere! Masses and masses of them. Then at 29. My older son was only one and I remember sitting with him thinking he will be 18 the next time they are here. It happened, my baby is 18 almost 19. I am sad for the baby I miss and at the same time thrilled with the adult he is. This time around they were everywhere for a couple of week and then gone. The boys are both old enough to remember them now and really couldn't understand my fascination with them. The next time I see these little guys, my boys will probably have families of their own. I might be a grandma. I may be alone. I guess they repersent the passage of time to me. I will be 63 next time. That may be my last time seeing them. Four times in a life time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home