Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Younger Son's Television Début

Yesterday was our second day of doing work for this school year. I had just gone for a walk with my friend and came home to start the day. I received a phone call a few minutes later from younger son's driving instructor from earlier this year. Channel 5news was planning on coming out to interview him about Illinois changing the driving age laws to either 17 or 18. They asked if he could have a couple of students with him. Dan gave us a call and called Sarah, the girl we drove with for drivers ed. We were both available so we drove out there and found out channel 5 and 7 wanted to interview Dan, the driving instructor and the kids along with the parents. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not a public speaker! Turned out to be a lot of fun and a great experience. Channel 5 was there first and Alex Perez interviewed both kids, parents & driving instructor. Alex Perez was very friendly and easy to talk to. They took Sarah in the driving school car out with Dan. Channel 7 only wanted to interview younger son and I because he would be the age most affected by a new law. Sarah was already 17. So Michelle Gallardo interviewed younger son sitting in the driver's ed car. Then she interviewed me in front of the driver's school. Next Younger son, me, Michelle, and Paul(the camera man) all climbed into our van and younger son drove them around while the camera man recorded it. First younger son & I were in front with the camera man behind son and reporter behind me. They had son stop and the reporter & camera man changed seats. Next we stopped and I went in back & camera man came in front. They had us pull into a parking lot and the camera man jumped out and took film of son driving around and backing out of spaces. For all the interviews and time spent we ended up on the 4:30 & 6pm news on channel 5 and 7. Of course I taped it all and all 4 segments came to about 12 minutes. I thought that was pretty good since I though at most we would get a minute or so.

After both of our families went to lunch and had fun talking about the experience. Can you believe I didn't think to bring my camera! I know, me neither! Luckily Sarah's mom had hers and took some pictures for us. And that's the way it was. :)

3 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger BOSSY said...

Stars are born! Warn the galaxy!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger ItchyBits said...

Wow! How fun! I think it would be hard to watch yourself on camera...not to mention as a new driver to drive on cue for total strangers...i don't know how movie people do it. I am sure your son enjoyed watching his technique. I'm sure it was flawless!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger The Travelers Journal said...

Thanks bossy & bettybetty! It was fun except for the seeing myself on TV, but it was fun seeing younger son. They tell you not to distract the new driver by talking about anything important and here was the reporter carring on a discussion with him driving :) Not so sure about flawless, but at least he didn't drive 20 miles under the speed limit and stayed away from curbs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home