Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Can It Be?

Can it be possible older son just turned 20! Not even a teenager anymore. To top all that off he just graduated too! I am very proud of him. He has a degree in Criminal Justice and will be old enough to get into a police department come January. It seemed like it was such a long process getting him into college and ready for life and now it is over way too quickly. I would like time to stand still for just a few moments. I remember clearly when he was born and very colicky. I was sitting up all night with him for months. I was sitting in a big recliner in the corner of my living room looking out my patio door watching a bank clock down the street click away the minutes. I thought morning would never come and I would never sleep again. I had the foresight to realize my time with my newborn would be short and I made myself stop for a minute and capture the memory of me holding him and him being all mine for that moment in time. I look back on that moment at just about every milestone and while I am still not sleeping waiting for him to get home late at night. I was right, it did go way too fast. My time with him living with me will be coming to an end. He is an adult and needs me less and less as it should be. Once a police department hires him he will have one year to move into the suburb he will be working in. So once again I am trying to capture the last few being at home memories I can get with him. It isn't easy since he is hardly ever here! I am so happy for him, he has a good job, a degree, a girlfriend, a car, and is ready to take on the world. I am trying to get use to letting go just a little at a time :) Younger son is struggling between having his brother move out and having his own room. He pretty much sees it as a win/win situation!

It was a nice family party and we had his friends over that evening for a party too. They played a lot of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I remember one cake throwing incident that I would rather not mention except in passing :)

Over at Pioneer Women, Wetsy just had her son yesterday, I hope she is already capturing memories in her mind because it really does go by way to fast!

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger Kunoichi said...

Fantastic! A happy birthday and great big congratulatory hug to oldest son from me. :-)

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger ItchyBits said...

Congrats to your son...very exciting. Nice when they know what they want to do. I often think about how I will feel when I get to where you are.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger The Travelers Journal said...

Thanks bettybetty! I wish I knew what I wanted to do now :) Younger son has 3 years of high school left and then college. I will soon be at an other crossroad in my life. I am trying not to panic and enjoy the present. Ok I am off to get yet an other paper bag to breath into!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home