Tuesday, August 21, 2007

John Braden



John Braden is my great great grandfather. He was born in 1864. He started this diary when he moved to Webster City Iowa. He only kept the diary from October of 1898to September 1901. There are also some notes up until 1911 in the back of the note book about work hours and supplies. After reading it 20 years ago I wanted more! I am very lucky to have a glimpse into his life even if it is only for a year. I decided to write a page in the blog each day from the diary as written. As you can imagine some spot are hard to read. I will do my best to be accurate and at times leave blanks for unreadable words. I hope you enjoy the journey with me back to the 1800's

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Kunoichi said...

Wow! You are so fortunate. No one in my family kept diaries. It just wasn't really done. Now we're struggling to get as many stories down as we can as my parents get older. It's already too late for my grandparents.

You have a real treasure there!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger The Travelers Journal said...

I know! I was amazed when I found it years ago in a box outside in a little trailer my grandparents had. After reading it the first time I wanted to find out what happened next. I wish he would have continued it. I know I am lucky to have as much as I do. I have always had the kids keep journal each year and I figure this blog is kind of a family journal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home