Saturday, October 14, 2006

Snow People

My best friend and I decided to start walking together four days a week and get into better shape. I think my friends shape is just fine, but her doctor has other ideas and my doctor is suggesting weight loss surgery. Our families are going to Disney World a year from this November together and we want to be able to walk without pain for long periods of time. Our intentions are very good! Most people would start slow as this is what we did talk about at first. I suggested we walk up to the mailbox and back. I thought she would laugh at me and we would start just walking around our building. The post office and back is about 2 1/2 miles (I checked it in the car!). Well she thought it was a good idea, so we started last Friday. We were both dead when we got back, but happy neither of us had a heart attack and we made it back. We had the weekend off and we started again Monday, then Tuesday, a shorter walk Wednesday and then came Thursday. We both thought we would have a day off it was suppose to rain or snow. When she dropped her son off at school that morning the sun was out so over she came. We started out with a lovely sunny day. We were about two blocks into our 2 1/2 mile walk and the wind picked up and the snow started. By the time we were on our way back after the first mile and a half it was like a blizzard hitting us in the face. We had to push against the wind to move. At this point we had walked already three days in a row and we are really out of shape. We both had black on. I swear we were covered in snow from head to toe! The wind was whipping the snow at us faster then we could walk. Now we have different philosophies on how to get back home at this point. Mine is to slow down and know we aren't going to make our usual time. I had to catch my breath! My best friend's philosophy is to speed up and get home as fast as possible :) By the time we rounded my block the snow stopped and the wind let up. If you were not near a window the hour we were out you would have never know it even snowed! On the news that night they mentioned blizzard like conditions and earliest snow fall is history. This is what happens when two out of shape friends decide to get into shape! If we continue you can count on this being the worst winter for snow and blizzard like conditions between 9am and 10am each weekday! Yes, we did walk again on Friday too. I kept saying from about a yard behind her, you are walking too fast! She would call back I am tired, my back is killing me I just have to get home! I would say if I have a heart attack you wouldn't know until you got back to my house because you are too far ahead! She would call back come on, I am walking at a normal pace. I would call ahead normal for who?? I must say not only did we walk over 10 miles last week, we cut 9 minutes off our time between Monday and Friday and added 3/10 of a mile to our distance. I can say that happily sitting in front of my computer taking the weekend off of walking, but come Monday I will be calling ahead, slow down are you trying to kill me. My best friend will be yelling back come on I want to get home my back is killing me. And through this just maybe by the end of winter we will be in a little better shape and walking together. Well maybe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home