Saturday, October 14, 2006

May Need Reading Glasses :)

About a week ago younger son had a friend over night. They had a great time playing with all the war gaming stuff and watching movies. Friend noticed I had one of the new Betty Crocker microwave individual desserts sitting around. I wanted to see how they tasted. He asked if he could have it and I said yes. He read me the instructions on back and we mixed the dry powder with some water in the dish it came in. He read to microwave it for 4 to 5 minutes. I looked at the back of the box too just to check. I popped it into the microwave and went back to decorating for Halloween. About 3 or 4 minutes later I start smelling something burning. I look over at the microwave and smoke was leaking out of it. I run over and shut it off. I looked in the door without opening it and it was filled with smoke and you couldn't see the dessert I had put in it. I opened the door up and puff! The house (not just the kitchen) was filled with smoke. I ran the melted microwave safe bowl under water just in case. Meanwhile we yanked down the smoke detector so as not to alarm the neighbors. We opened both front and back doors including the next door leading to the outside area. I had both boys waving the doors open and close to air out our condo. I guess there was enough smoke that came out of our building to have someone call the maintenance man to check on our burning building! I assured him it was us and there was no fire. I was so mad at Betty Crocker I ready to sue!! I pulled the package back out of the garbage to get the 800 number to call and complain and imagine my surprise when I looked closer at the directions and it said to cook for 45 SECONDS! I swear I saw a dash between the 4 and 5 when I first glanced at it. Really I did. Not only did I feel really bad I couldn't see the directions, but younger son's friend still wanted the dessert! I offered cookies instead and it seemed to help. It has been a week now and even though I boiled water with baking soda after this happened and have used the microwave many times since when you open the door you STILL can smell the burnt dessert. I have flooded our condo twice, almost set the oven on fire (the fire department was out for that one!) and now about blew up our microwave. You can all be happy I am not your neighbor :) I go to get my eyes checked again in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home